Scope of Service
- Clinical diagnosis, investigation and treatment of all skin diseases
- Special investigations including skin biopsies
- Dermatosurgical procedures including cryosurgery and electrosurgery, such as two new radiofrequency cautery (Ellman) techniques for various forms of skin growths
- Intralesional injections (Dermojet) for specific skin diseases such as keloids and alopecia areata
- Diagnosis, investigation and treatment of allergic disorders related to the skin
- Phototherapy including NBUVB for psoriasis, vitiligo and cutaneous lymphomas
- Treatment of severe skin diseases with latest biological drugs through the day care facility
Laser clinic for the treatment of indicated conditions. The department is now equipped with 3 lasers – a CO2, an excimer and a pulsed dye laser. These are used for treating skin growths, vitiligo, psoriasis and vascular lesions such as hemangiomas
An allergy clinic provides the best available diagnostic and therapeutic facilities for allergies pertaining to the skin. Facilities include patch and prick testing, and ISAC ImmunoCAP testing (available soon).
Outpatient clinic is open daily from 08:00 to 16:00 hrs. The evening clinic is open from 18:00 to 22:00 hrs twice weekly
In addition, inpatients, ward referrals and cases from the Emergency Room (ER) range between 5 -10 cases per day.
The department consists of 4 specialist doctors and 1 GP in dermatology. The department is also one of the training hospitals for residents in dermatology, as well as from other residency programs such as medicine and pediatrics.
Head of Department
Name: Dr. Mohamed Sheriff
Position: Acting Head - Dermatology
Qualifications: Doctor of Medicine, Dermatology.